Check back here regularly to find out what's going on at The Book Ferret.
Very proud to have been asked to be the stockist for this new project by Specially Sussex.
Gorgeous papers, £2.50 folded with tag and cello wrapped or £1.99 for a sheet.
The Mice Folk of Arundel
Introducing the first tale of The Mice Folk of Arundel. Set in the real life town in West Sussex. This is a story about pirates, rescue and friendship, with the arrival of the Mice Folk to Arundel and the very first and very big adventure. With 60 pages of full colour illustrations by Ian Tyrrell and written by his daughter Jo Tyrrell.
Signed 1st editions available now. £12.50!
2017 Calendars & Diaries
Lots of lovely new calendars and diaries now available for 2017, with many more to come. We have the biggest selection we have ever had, including some amazing 'oversized' calendars that will make a real statement in any room!
JUSTICE FOR JOAN - AN ARUNDEL MURDER
by Martin Knight.
****PRE-ORDERS £9.95 (rrp £11.95)****
On the August Bank Holiday weekend of 1948 Joan Woodhouse, a demure, deeply religious London librarian, left her lodgings in London to visit the family home in Barnsley, Yorkshire. She never arrived. A week later her body, raped and strangled, was discovered in the grounds of the historic Arundel Castle in Sussex. Scotland Yard's elite murder squad were summoned and so began a two-year, still unresolved, saga that captivated press and public alike. Martin Knight here attempts to answer whether an innocent man cheated the hangman or whether a murderer went free.
EASTER IS COMING!
We have a lovely selection of Easter cards as singles and packs, plus a range of wonderful children's books as an alterbnative to a chocolate gift! We have colouring books, sticker books, traditional Easter stories and ones featuring favourites such as Peppa Pig, Thomas the Tank Engine and In The Night Garden!
For everyone who enjoys a bit of romance out there, we have an enormous selection of Valentine's cards, gifts, and everything you need to wrap them up!
NEW YEAR, NEW YOU!
It is customary that every January, publishers and therefore booksellers have a big push on books to tie in with typical New Year's resolutions. You will see diet book and 'How to Quit' books in all the windows and front tables. At The Book Ferret, we don't really like to promote books that make people feel bad about themselves for eating the wrong things, not exercising enough and looking bad. Here is a small selection of our choice of books to help you start the new year feeling calm and healthy in mind, body and spirit!
If you had your fill of fun and frolics in the festive period, maybe these gloriously gloomy books will be just the thing!
Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups
Christmas cards, gift wrap and accessories in stock now!
We have a lovely range of charity packs and single cards, including some gorgeous 3D cards. We also have Christmas gift wrap, boxes, bags, ribbons and tags!
2016 CALENDARS AND DIARIES
COLOURING BOOKS FOR ADULTS
Have you joined the colouring craze? We have a lovely selection of colouring books for grown-ups in stock now!
ESSENTIAL NEW EDITIONS!
Make sure you are up to date with the rules of the road with the new Highway Code.
Explore the glorious countryside around you with the brand new Arundel and Chichester OS maps.
NEW EXPANDED RANGE OF CARDS, WRAP & GIFT ACCESSORIES!
A beautiful selection of tissue paper, gift bags & boxes, wrap rolls & luxury wrap have been added, with more due imminently!
PENGUIN LITTLE BLACK CLASSICS!
A new series of 80 books for 80p each, celebrating Penguin's 80th birthday.
These little snippets of great literature are fantastic introductions to author's you may not have read before. At only 80p each, you'd be silly not to buy one! (or several).
1. Boccaccio Mrs Rosie and the Priest
2. Gerard Manley Hopkins As Kingfishers Catch Fire
3. The Saga of Gunnlaug Serpent-tongue
4. Thomas de Quincey On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts
5. Friedrich Nietzsche Aphorisms on Love and Hate
6. John Ruskin Traffic
7. Pu Songling Wailing Ghosts
8. Jonathan Swift A Modest Proposal
9. Three Tang Dynasty Poets
10. Walt Whitman Alone on the Beach at Night
11. Kenko A Cup of Sake Beneath the Cherry Trees
12. Baltasar Gracian How to Use Your Enemies
13. John Keats The Eve of St Agnes
14. Thomas Hardy Woman Much Missed
15. Guy de Maupassant Femme Fatale
16. Marco Polo Travels in the Land of Serpents and Pearls
17. Suetonius Caligula
18. Apollonius of Rhodes Jason and Medea
19. Robert Louis Stevenson Olalla
20. Friedrich Engels and Karl Marx The Communist Manifesto
21. Petronius Trimalchio’s Feast
22. Johann Peter Hebel How a Ghastly Story Was Brought to Light by a Common or Garden Butcher’s Dog
23. Hans Christian Andersen The Tinder Box
24. Rudyard Kipling The Gate of the Hundred Sorrows
25. Dante Circles of Hell
26. Henry Mayhew Of Street Piemen
27. Hafez The nightingales Are Drunk
28. Geoffrey Chaucer The Wife of Bath
29. Michel de Montaigne How We Weep and Laugh at the Same Thing
30. Thomas Nashe The Terrors of the Night
31. Edgar Allan Poe The Tell-Tale Heart
32. Mary Kingsley A Hippo Banquet
33. Jane Austen The Beautifull Cassandra
34. Anton Chekhov Gooseberries
35. Samuel Taylor Coleridge Well, They Are Gone, and Here Must I Remain
36. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Sketchy, Doubtful, Incomplete Jottings
37. Charles Dickens The Great Winglebury Duel
38. Herman Melville The Maldive Shark
39. Elizabeth Gaskell The Old Nurse’s Story
40. Nikolai Leskov The Steel Flea
41. Honore de Balzac The Atheist’s Mass
42. Charlotte Perkins Gilman The Yellow Wall-Paper
43. CP Cavafy Remember, Body...
44. Fyodor Dostoevsky The Meek One
45. Gustave Flaubert A Simple Heart
46. Nikolai Gogol The Nose
47. Samuel Pepys The Great Fire of London
48. Edith Wharton The Reckoning
49. Henry James The Figure in the Carpet
50. Wilfred Owen Anthem for Doomed Youth
51. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart My Dearest Father
52. Plato Socrates’ Defence
53. Christina Rossetti Goblin Market
54. Sindbad the Sailor
55. Sophocles Antigone
56. Ryūnosuke Akutagawa The Life of a Stupid Man
57. Leo Tolstoy How Much Land Does a Man Need?
58. Giorgio Vasari Leonardo da Vinci
59. Oscar Wilde Lord Arthur Savile’s Crime
60. Shen Fu The Old Man of the Moon
61. Aesop The Dolphins, the Whales and the Gudgeon
62. Matsuo Bashō Lips Too Chilled
63. Emily Bronte The Night Is Darkening Round Me
64. Joseph Conrad To-morrow
65. Richard Hakluyt The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe
66. Kate Chopin A Pair of Silk Stockings
67. Charles Darwin It Was Snowing Butterflies
68. Brothers Grimm The Robber Bridegroom
69. Catullus I Hate and I Love
70. Homer Circe and the Cyclops
71. DH Lawrence Il Duro
72. Katherine Mansfield Miss Brill
73. Ovid The Fall of Icarus
74. Sappho Come Close
75. Ivan Turgenev Kasyan from the Beautiful Lands
76. Virgil O Cruel Alexis
77. HG Wells A Slip under the Microscope
78. Herodotus The Madness of Cambyses
79. Speaking of Śiva
80. The Dhammapada
The Book Ferret
34 High Street
Tel: 01903 885727
Or use our contact form.